Search This Blog

Jan 27, 2011

Mikey is a Dad!

As most of you know, I am officially a Dad!  Sadly, the beginning of labor went like this: My wife and I were at a grocery store getting some "reward food" for the Packers/Falcons playoff game. She stopped and looked at me and said, "I don't want to alarm you, but I think my water broke".  I then responded with, "But... the playoffs are on".  That's how much I love football. The next thing you know we're in the hospital and I have a baby boy.  The cool part?  The Seahawks/Bears game was on in the background during delivery. That's one cool way to come into this world.  If you're interested, here are the details:
 
Ryan Champ Whitfield (we're calling him Champ... yes, my wife rocks)
Born January 16th, 2011 at 1:43 PM
7lbs 1oz, 20" long
And the kid has a BUNCH of hair, unlike his Daddy :)
I just told Champ a good knock-knock joke
 Well, onto to fitness info...
You know how I'm a big fan of interval training.  But some people think that it has to be done on cardio machines like treadmills, ellipticals and bikes.  That's certainly not the case.  I write many body weight exercise "intervals" that are just as effective.  At the end of your next workout, try this interval workout:
Perform the following circuit 2-3 times, resting for 30-60 secs between circuits (video demos are at the bottom of this post)
  • Body squats (15) 
  • Push-ups (or kneeling push-ups) (15)
  • Jump squats (jump from a squat position) Giving a "thumbs up" before doing them is optional, as you will see in the video demo (10) 
  • Cross mountain climber (10 ea side)
  • Star Jumps (10)
Of course, there are always alternatives for exercises you are not comfortable with.  Never do anything that hurts (I'm not a believer of the "no pain, no gain").  So be sure to get with a certified trainer that can help you with these moves.
Moves like this will blast fat without boring "cardio". It is exercises like this (as well as alternatives for beginners and advanced people alike) that we'll be rocking at the next 4-week boot camp, which starts Monday, January 31st.  We still have some slots open if you want in and you get a meal plan based on your current weight!.  For more info and to register, click below:
P.S. We're almost one month into the new year.  How close are you to your goals?  Don't give up and use social support.  Don't be afraid to ask for help from friends and family!
To your fitness success,
Mike Whitfield, CFT, CFNC

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your new baby Champ. And also I would like to thank you for that 3rd video you have posted. I will try that tonight outside my neighbors house....naked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! And you'll burn less calories doing it naked,... just keep that in mind ;)

    ReplyDelete