Search This Blog

Sep 23, 2010

Dismiss the Excuses

"I'm too old." "I'm too young".  "It's too late to get started".  "I don't have time".  I've heard them all.  They are called "excuses". This is what I call a "tough love" post.  It's time to put away the excuses and instead, find solutions.  I've worked with many clients from different backgrounds.  I once trained a 75-year old man about 3 years ago.  Do you know what his words were to me?  He said, "I figured it ain't too late to get healthy".  I also have a client in her sixties I've had for over 3 years that can do burpees, squat thrusts, DB swings, mountain climbers among other "good times" moves like it's a walk in the park. She sure didn't get there overnight.  She went through a journey. She stayed consistent. Now, she's addicted to working out and she loves to run or walk on her days off.

The time excuse is a popular one, too.  It doesn't take 2 hours a day 6 days a week to see a change.  If your diet is clean, you can get results in as little as 2-3 days a week for about 45 minutes.  I've done it. I've seen clients do it.  I've seen other people do it.  2 episodes of a sit-com = 60 minutes.  You can do this.  Use big, compund movements, using supersets or circuits. That means you may have to put away "mirror" exercises like the bicep curls until you get more time.

A big problem with excuses is that we try to completely avoid them instead of facing them head-on with solutions.  What is it that is holding you back?  Is it time?  What is something that takes up the time to put in a workout that you are willing to sacrifice?  Yes, your fitness goals will take sacrfice.

I'll give you an example.  I love football. (I know, who doesn't??)  But my problem is that I love to eat when I watch football.  It's something that I did when I was a big boy.
Too much football food!

Well, to this day, I still enjoy football food. So, what is my strategy?  I've taken out my ability to "munch" too much by actually preparing my meals for the week during the second game. Don't get me wrong.  I still indulge in my beloved chips but not like I used to.  I used to eat 2-3 bags in 1 day.  Now, I treat myself during the Carolina Panthers losing game.  But the second game is all about preparation and busting through what would hold me back on my fitness goals.  I came up with a solution to work through my obstacles.  That is what it takes.

So, what is holding you back?  It's time to dismiss the excuses.

No comments:

Post a Comment